Many visitors to Ripon are surprised by the recently restored canal and marina.
Originally designed in 1766 by John Smeaton, the canal starts at the canal basin in the centre of Ripon. It was restored in 1996 and it is now possible to take a very pleasant walk along the towpath, for approximately 1 1/2 miles, until the canal joins the River Ure.
The marina, which is alongside the racecourse, is home to 160 craft, not to mention a whole host of wildlife who reside amongst the wetlands. A Visitor Centre has recently been added to the site with interpretation boards and nature walks. Bird hides are also available. In the summer months it is possible to hire canoes on the canal.
For information on Ripon Canal and Marina contact 0115 973 4278.